A touching story we thought you would enjoy.
A little boy approached his mother in the kitchen one evening while she was washing dishes, and presented her a piece of paper. His mom dried her hands, took the paper from the boy and she read it very attentively, this is what it said:
Mowing the lawn: $5.00
Cleaning up my room: $5.00
Going to the store for you: $1.50
Baby-sitting while you went shopping: $3.50
Taking out the trash: $1.00
Getting an A in math: $5.00
Cleaning up the yard: $3.00
Total owed: $24.00
His mother took a moment, and the boy could almost see the memories flashing through his mother’s mind.
After some thought she picked up the pen off the counter, turned the paper over that he had handed her, and spent a few minutes writing some things down, then handed it back to the boy.
This is what she wrote:
- Nine months carrying you while you were growing inside me: No Charge
- For all the nights that I’ve sat up with you, doctored and prayed for you: No Charge
- For all the meals I’ve cooked, dishes I’ve washed, and clothes I’ve laundered through the years: No Charge
- For all the trips to the doctors, hospitals, and principles office: No Charge
- For the toys, clothes, and even for wiping your nose: No Charge
- Son, when you add it up, the cost of my love is: No Charge.
As the boy read what his mother had written, a big tear rolled down the side of his face. He looked straight into his mother’s eyes and said, “Mom, I love you.” And then he took the pen and in great big letters he wrote: “PAID IN FULL”.
Even as adults we sometimes forget how much our parents did for us and it’s not until we have children of our own that we truly realize the love a parent has for a child.
So if by reading this you are reminded of your mother’s love, stop for a moment and, if she’s alive and lives near you, give her a big kiss and tell her how much you love and appreciate her.
If she is far away, call her. If she has passed away, think of her fondly and enjoy the memories.